Are You Thinking About Quitting Smoking?
Most smokers have thought at some point in their lives about quitting smoking. For some, it’s just a fleeting thought when they run out of cigarettes. For others, it’s a more serious consideration because smoking is causing problems in their lives. Understanding the quitting process makes quitting easier. We’ve learned that, although people quit smoking in their own way, there are two things that stand out: motivation and planning.
With motivation and planning – including taking advantage of many free resources – smokers can begin their journey to a smoke-free life.
Quitting Smoking Has Benefits:
- Lowers the risk for lung cancer and other types of cancer.
- Reduces the risk for coronary heart disease and stroke.
- Reduces respiratory symptoms, such as coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath.
- Reduces the risk for developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) – one of the leading causes of death in the U.S.
- Reduces the risk for infertility in women and reduces the risk of having a low birth weight baby.